College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
  • Home
  • Academics
  • Degrees
  • Spanish and Portuguese Degrees
  • B.A.
  • FAQ

Spanish and Portuguese Degrees

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I double major with something else?
Yes, you can combine a Spanish major with another major in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, such as Latin American Studies, History, Philosophy, pre-med, Communications, and so on. If you are in another school, you can also major in Spanish; indeed, many of our majors are in Journalism, Business, or Education. Remember that when you declare a major in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, you need to fulfill all the principal course requirements in the College as well as the requirements for the major. You can also complement your major with a related minor, for example Brazilian Studies or Latino Studies.
How do I declare a major in Spanish?
Students wishing to major in Spanish must first meet with the Advising Specialist. You can make an appointment with the Spanish advisor by calling 785-864-3500. Your advisor will go over information about the Spanish major and will help you complete the paperwork for declaring a major. After you have filled out the relevant forms, the Department will assign you a faculty advisor. Once you have declared a major, we recommend that you see your adviser at least once a semester during pre-enrollment. Your adviser can help you map out your schedule and figure out the order in which you should take your classes. You are also strongly advised to speak with your adviser when planning to study abroad so that your adviser can assist you in selecting an appropriate program to keep you on track for graduation. Finally, make sure to visit your adviser early in your last semester so that (s)he can fill out graduation paperwork for you. If you are unsure whether you have officially declared a major or are unsure who your faculty advisor is, please feel free to ask at the main office of the department.
What are the requirements for the major?
The following will give you an idea of the sequence of courses to be followed in the major and may help you to plan your schedule as a Spanish major, or even if you are only interested in taking Spanish to a certain level. We still recommend that you see an advisor, but hope you will use this to think about things before or as you consult with an advisor. You need a total of 32 credits above the general prerequisites in Spanish to graduate (please remember that SPAN 324 and 328 are prerequisites). For students who entered before Fall 2011, the required number of credits above the prerequisites is 29. After you have completed the basic language series (Spanish 216) you normally would enroll in: SPAN 322 Spanish Grammar: Form and Meaning in Context (3cr) (Recommended for students who may need an extra focus on grammar). SPAN 324 Grammar and Composition (3cr) and SPAN 328 Intermediate Spanish Conversation I (2cr). These classes are designed to improve your writing and speaking skills (Recommended for students who earned a grade of C+ or higher in Span 216 or Span 322). After completing SPAN 324, you are eligible to continue on to SPAN 340 Textual Analysis (3cr). This class is an introduction to literary genres and styles and how to analyze texts. It is a prerequisite for all of the upper division literature classes. You are also eligible to take Span 346 Transatlantic Hispanic Cultures (3cr). It is a course that is also required for the major. We advise student to take no more than 9 credits of Spanish in semester in order to follow the planned sequence of classes. After completing SPAN 340, you have more choices. To get you started, here is an example of a sequence of courses that a student can take to complete the major in four years. Here is a checklist to help you keep yourself on track (checklist for students who entered KU before Fall 2011, checklist for students who entered KU Fall 2011 or later). Please note that the prerequisite for SPAN 540, SPAN 550, and SPAN 560 is two 400-level literature courses so you must plan ahead in order to complete these classes before you register for 540, 550, or 560. SPAN 540, 550, and 560 are intensive, capstone courses designed to be taken at the end of the Spanish major. The Department seldom grants transfer credit from Study Abroad for this 500-level.
Can I minor in Spanish?
The department does not currently offer a minor. However, we encourage you to continue taking classes in Spanish after you have fulfilled the four-semester language requirement. You may eventually decide that you wish to major, and the additional coursework will benefit you while helping you to keep your options open.
Does the department offer Honors?
If you wish to apply for departmental honors, you should meet with your advisor during the spring semester of your junior year to find out what graduate courses will be offered the following year. Working with your advisor, you will also need to identify the two faculty members with whom you might wish to work on your honors project. You are responsible for approaching these professors and asking them to serve as Honors Project directors. You will also need to submit the following to your adviser: A Departmental Honors Intent Form, which you can get from Spanish Major Advising Support A letter of intent identifying the two professors with whom you would like to work A copy of your up-to-date ARTS Form
How does Portuguese fit into the Spanish major?
Students may use PORT 212 or higher (with the exception of PORT 300 and PORT 611) to satisfy the requirements for a 500-level language class and for two 400-level electives (for a maximum of nine credits). For example, a student who has taken PORT 212 and 216, Intermediate Brazilian Portuguese I and II, could use those courses to fulfill the requirement for 6 hours of 400-level electives. You might also consider a minor in Brazilian Studies.

2020 Graduation


Give to the SLLC

January 2020

Upcoming SLLC Events